Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sunday morning rant...

I guess super high IQ doesn't necessarily make one smart. I just cannot agree with the tit-for-tat advice in Marilyn vos Savant's Parade Magazine column this Sunday. I think it's downright stupid.

"...I have a not-so-intellectual tactic to retaliate against the companies that send junk mail. I seal their postage-paid envelopes and send them back empty. Plus, I figure I'm supporting the U.S. Postal Service when I do this!"

HUH???? Why is she advocating increasing the volume of "junk mail" (her words) in the system? Each one of those envelopes has to be shipped by truck and plane to get to it's destination and I hate to think of the fossil fuel consumption required to do that. Whether it's one envelope or thousands it doesn't get there by magic, it has to be delivered. Sheesh, what a dumb thing to advocate. Stop the madness at your doorstep. Recycle the envelope...for the good of all.

No comments: