Monday, October 13, 2008

Bull's Eyes and Bathrooms

First of all I had to look up "bullseye" on dict.org to find the proper spelling...and found out the word has nothing to do with targets! Very interesting stuff but not what I thought. So I tried "bull's eye" and bingo, that's right.

So anyway (I get distracted easily!) I put mine and Mom's bull's eye swap blocks together and it looks pretty cool.


Since it's a swap it's quickly apparent that we all had different definitions of 10", 8" and 6" circles. :-) But it adds to the charm. Mom and I had signed up for Vicki Tracy's QUBED workshop last month but couldn't go due to the tropical storm. Happily, we were given the DVD instead and I used that method for sewing the blocks together. The DVD is very talky and over-long but the method is simple enough and I'll use it again. Now for the border. I think it's crying out for a scrappy and colorful piano key border. Don't you?

The bathroom is done. Yippee! I have to paint a new section of baseboard and do a better job of the ceiling when I get out the heavier duty primer, but it sure looks nice even so.

HGTV would be horrified, it's old fashioned and small but it suits me just fine! No stone...granite or otherwise. Yay! And it's the biggest vanity and medicine cabinet I've ever had in my whole life! All the stuff I had perched everywhere and stuffed behind a curtain on shelves over the toilet fits nicely into the cabinets with three drawers left over! Woohoo! The sink is big and the counter level is much higher than what we had before. Wonderful. It just makes me smile every time I go in there. Well dang, look at that. One of the lights is out already! Go figure.

And even room for a few knickknacks. Gotta love it! Mom's china shepherd and shepherdess and some other stuff I just like. Somewhere I should have a box of small knickknacks I picked up as a small child at the White Elephant Sales at church and also, believe it or not, at the town dump. I hope the box hasn't gone missing. I haven't thought about it for a long time and I don't remember seeing it in the last move. Hmmmm....


Ok. Back to work. I've got sewing and household projects all shouting at me to come and work on them (including a new shower curtain!). Sheesh. Retirement is not restful!

10 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! That was FAST! The new bathroom looks great!

Twisted Quilts said...

I love the yellow in the bathroom, so cheery

Stephanie D said...

That little bath is so colorful! Looks like candy.

That's an interesting quilt, too--very nice.

JudiA said...

Woo hoo! The bathroom is done -- congrats!! But... my heart belongs to that quilt. It is purely GORGEOUS.

Eileen said...

You will love your new bathroom.. especially when it comes to cleaning it now. I know when we had ours done a few years ago, it was the most wonderful thing in the world. I was cleaning it a couple times a day, and I am NOT a neat freak, and it wasn't even dirty! But everything was so shiny. It is still easy to clean.

Yep.. a colorful piano key border is what that quilt calls for. ;-D

Lynn said...

I was trying to figure out why I didn't have that many circle blocks - and after rereading your blog - I realized that you used your mom's and your own blocks. Now I get it. I love the way you have it arranged. I noticed that some of the circles are different sizes too. That will just enhance the scrappy look! Love the bathroom - I have a yellow master bathroom too (mine's smaller!!!) - very cheery way to start my day.

Roslyn said...

Love the quilt!
Roslyn

Tanya said...

Ooh. Your bathroom is a dream! I love your shower curtain! Sure wish I could get my bathroom looking nice like that! It is so utilitarian.

Ivy really is a calendar dog isn't she! And Ngaire is a beauty too.

Tanya said...

Ooh.. Sorry. Forgot Belle. Give her a hug from me too.

Tine said...

Your new bathroom is fantastic! I love that shower-curtain!
And your bulls-eyes quilt is amazing, I really really like that a lot!