Monday, October 6, 2008

Progress....of a sorts

I'm trying to summon up the will to get out of this chair and go put on my painting clothes. Right now the chair and my bathrobe are winning. :-P We made a bit of progress yesterday. We struggled the new vanity into the bathroom, cut all the right holes to accommodate the pipes, shimmed and leveled, wrestled the drain and faucet onto the vanity top and installed the top. Of course the side splash I bought was the wrong one...sigh. So that, along with the vanity light and some of the wrong sized plumbing bits have to be exchanged....but it's still progress...and we're still speaking to each other!


The medicine cabinet is just balanced on boxes in that photo while we sorted out the lighting issues. And yes that vanity looks kinda large for the space. The bathroom is narrow and we can't do anything about it for now so we just got a standard size and will deal with it. It has a 48" of counter top, a cabinet and SIX drawers and I'm in heaven. :-) The medicine cabinet is no small potatoes either. No complaints from me! This is luxury compared to our small master bath and the master bath at our previous house. Get a load of how small!

How did we stand it??? We had to walk sideways to pass the tiny sink, banged our elbows constantly on the triangle metal shower and dealt with the little blue toilet (under the eves opposite the shower). We bought that house with some weird rose colored glasses on. That's for sure!

Since the new cabinetry is larger, the light fixture is going to be offset to the right. And we discovered the surface mount medicine cabinet sticks out from the wall too far for the light we bought. The light was just going to shine down on the top of the cabinet! So we'll have to be creative and see what we can find as an alternative. The plan is to gut most of the house anyway so we're just finding bargains that will make it pleasant to live in now. So moving the electrical isn't a priority. :-)


In the meantime there is mess everywhere and I can't wait to be finished!


So I better get up off my duff and get on with it. I know you all feel so sorry for poor me. Not! LOL


7 comments:

Lynn said...

You've been busy - I'm impressed that you are still on speaking terms - good for you. The quilt pictures from Heritage Day were great - so many nice quilts - I'm sorry I didn't get there.

Twisted Quilts said...

You and your husband are doing all of this together!? I am with Lynn that would be the end of my marriage for sure. I am sure it will look great when you finish

Lynne said...

Interesting taking a peek at your life. It's a busy one. I thought you said you were retired?
Lovely to see the quilts displayed on Heritage Day. The only place you see quilts displayed in the UK usually would be a quilt show, not sure about Sweden.
Lynne

Thimbleanna said...

Hmmm, looks like lots of fun. I love honme re-do projects. Or I used to. It's getting time for us to start some new ones and I'm thinking I'm getting lazy in my old age! Hopefully you'll be enjoying your new bath soon!

Tanya said...

I'd love to do some renovating but with kids in college I guess not for awhile. And my hubby doesn't believe that houses should be repaired. He thinks they are supposed to fall down around you...

Library Gal Quilts said...

Hi Kathie, We remodeled both of our bathrooms last spring (not at the same time :) and they have been an inspiration to fix up other parts of our house. I can't tell you how nice it is to keep them clean when they are new! Looking forward to your progress pixs. Pam in Chico

Candace said...

I used to tell my husband that if you hung curtains together and were still speaking that you knew your marriage was strong, I imagine that it is the same but different. I think that your bathroom is looking great. I have a small bathroom too. The people on HGTV would be appalled, but I like small bathrooms just fine. I don't want to live in there, so I like my room where I live, bedrooms, living rooms, etc. I am jealous of your window though. We have 2 bathrooms, and neither one has a window.