Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"To Sew Successfully"


"When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible.  Go through a beauty ritual of orderliness.  Have on a clean dress.  Be sure your hands are clean, fingernails are smooth--a nail file and pumice will help.  Always avoid hangnails.  Keep a little bag of French chalk near your sewing machine where you can pick it up and dust your fingers at intervals.  This not only absorbs the moisture on our fingers, but helps to keep your work clean.  Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on with care.  Looking attractive is a very important part of sewing, because if you are making something for yourself, you will try it on at intervals in front of your mirror, and you can hope for better results when you look your best.

Again, sewing must be approached with the idea that you are going to enjoy it, and if you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should.  Therefore, "spruce up" at the beginning so that you are free to enjoy every part of any sewing you do."

Singer Sewing Book, by Mary Brooks Picken, copyright 1949



So ladies.....are we ready to sew today???  ;-)


4 comments:

Raewyn said...

Love the advice!! Let it be noted that I am sitting here in my dressing gown, ironing, sewing and reading! However as it is 5.43am, there is little chance of someone calling at the door and catching me at my worst!!

Lynn said...

So funny, yet I remember it sounds like advice my mother and aunts would give me.

Lorraine said...

LOL! I have seen this before but it's worth seeing again..what a hoot! Does this mean if I don't wear makeup usually that I have to put it on specially to sew...? Sewing attire for me is usually something uber comfortable and probably not very attractive .... :)

Bonnie said...

Gack. Did folks really do that? Heck I spend half the morning in my night gown. Of course I've missed a couple of knocks on the door, but, what the hey!